Friday, June 4, 2010

What a week - a few thoughts

  • Good luck with the new job Gary. I know the county will benefit from your experience and leadership, although I fear for our new mayor. (If it is one of the current apparent pretenders: be careful what you wish fir) Whether you like Gary or not, and for the record I think he was and still is a superb mayor, I think everyone can admit he sets the bar for an elected official. He has an amazing ability to put up with continued abuse and defamation and let it roll off his back with a smile. I don't envy him the last few years, and I think the city is poorer for his loss.
  • How is it we can offer $1.2 million dollars for a piece of land with no appraisal, no plans and no funds but suddenly we can't afford a $15,000 contract with Climate Solutions to address environmental issues including energy efficiency, clean energy financing, distributed renewable technologies, smart grids, and electric cars.
  • On that note, I am disturbed by Councilmember Fraley-Monillas waffling on this vote. Again, she was set to spend money the city didn't have on a giant albatross last month, but wants to "sit back" and see "what the budget looks like" before making up her mind, after making it up, then unmaking it, before making it up again. I have no problem with someone changing their mind after considered debate and discussion. In fact I think that shows a sign of intelligence and strength. Two weeks and a few citizens yelping is not considered debate and discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment